Philly Cheesesteak Casserole | Gluten-Free, Goat Cheese
Goat Cheese & Gluten-Free Casseroles
I used to love a good old Betty Crocker casserole for sure!
And I’ve been on a casserole kick lately. We made baked penne with bison. And chicken noodle casserole.
And thought wouldn’t it be fun to take some other classics and adapt them to my dietary restrictions now that I can eat goat cheese.
One of our favorites is decadent and delicious white chicken enchilada casserole made with goat cheese pepper jack and goat’s milk yogurt.
And at some point I’ll update the recipe for King Ranch chicken casserole we make with vegan cheese using goat pepper jack or the Dutch cheese slices instead.
But know what I haven’t had in years – a Philly Cheesesteak.
So I’m all over adapting this Betty Crocker recipe for Philly Cheese and Ground Beef Casserole into a gluten-free cheesesteak casserole!
How are we going to adapt the recipe to make it gluten-free, cleaner and fit within all my dietary needs?
- use all organic vegetables, especially the bell peppers.
- make it gluten-free by substituting the bread topping using 1/2 cup sweet white rice flour and 1/2 cup millet flour
- use ghee instead of butter
- Dutch goat cheese slices at Trader Joe’s have a mild flavor and are melty enough to work in this casserole
Since my husband isn’t a huge fan of mushrooms so we are going to use a little less and chop them very finely to get the umami flavor without the mushroom texture.
I also add a little steak seasoning to give the beef a little more flavor.
We buy organic spices in bulk and I make up my own steak seasoning blend. Here is a recipe to copycat McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning.
We also like to use a mixture of Pink Himalayan salt and iodized salt instead of just one or the other to get the benefits of both (taste test as you go along adding salt here or there when needed).
In order to make the casserole you will need a large pan to cook the beef and mushrooms.
Once the beef is done, place it into a deep casserole dish.
Then cook the veggies and ghee in the same skillet. Then layer the beef and cooked veggies with cheese.
Make up the bread mixture and pour over the top. Bake and then enjoy your gluten-free cheesesteak casserole! We sure did. 🙂
Gluten-Free Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- 1 lb antibiotic-hormone-free ground beef
- 4 oz cremini mushroom caps, finely chopped
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 large organic onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 organic red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 organic green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cloves organic garlic, finely minced
- 8 slices Trader Joe’s Goat’s Milk Dutch cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk creamer
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 2 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash and prep all the vegetables. Usually the mushrooms are washed under filtered water then wiped with a paper towel before chopping.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
Add the ground beef, chopped mushrooms, steak seasoning, and freshly ground black pepper to a large skillet and cook over medium high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon to break up the meat until the meat is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain off any excess fat. Transfer to either a 13×9 or deep dish 9×9 casserole baking dish. Taste to see if it needs any more salt.
- Wipe down the skillet and then add the ghee to the skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic with and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare the bread topping by whisking the eggs, coconut milk and olive oil together in a medium size bowl (or 2-cup measuring glass). Add the flours, guar gum and salt to the liquid mixture and stir until well combined.
Next assemble the casserole. Add the onion and pepper mixture over the meat in the casserole dish. Add the cheese slices on top of the veggies, layering the cheese over each other slices if necessary. Pour the bread topping next. Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Let sit for a few minutes after pulling it from the oven before serving. Enjoy!