Healthified BBQ Chicken Tacos | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Clean up your Taco Tuesdays by using organic ingredients to make these amazing gluten-free and dairy-free healthified BBQ chicken tacos.
Healthified BBQ Chicken Tacos
Yep, we’ve gone and “healthified” Taco Tuesdays!
Clean eating means different things to different people, but for us it is eating lean meats and clean organic veggies to avoid pesticides.
And we try to avoid anything else that may contain glyphosate (soy, corn, wheat, oats, canola, sugar, and the list goes on – it is hard to keep up as they now use it as a desiccant, too).
I also have to eat gluten-free and mostly dairy-free (goat’s milk is okay and so it a little aged Parmesan).
But what is exciting is that there are now so many organic and non-GMO products that are gluten-free, too!
So why not make our favorite BBQ chicken tacos with gluten-free and almost all organic ingredients!
And we changed up the slaw a little bit using a pre-cut broccoli and carrot slaw instead of cabbage. I’ve been digging this stuff lately. It’s great on salads, too.
Anyway, here is what we used:
- Smart Chicken Organic Air-Chilled Chicken
- Organic Olive Oil
- Himalayan/Iodized Salt Mixture & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- HEB Organics, Gluten-Free Hickory BBQ Sauce
- Organic Broccoli Cole Slaw
- Organic, non-GMO Mi Rancho Corn Tortilla Sliders
- Marukan Organic Rice Vinegar
- McCormick Organic Celery Seed
- Good Flow Local Pure Wildflower Honey
HEB has an extensive line of Organic products. And you really can’t go wrong shopping at a local Co-Op that carries lots of clean foods and products. I love our local Wheatsville!
There are lots of options for chicken to use in this recipe.
We really love this air-chilled organic chicken and the way it tastes. There is a real difference.
This 4 1/2 pound roasted chicken gives us about 4 cups of shredded breast and thigh meat. Lizzy dog gets all the dark meat, since it’s not my favorite.
But if you don’t have time to roast a whole chicken there are other options for sure.
- boneless chicken thighs cook much faster, about 20 minutes at 400 F
- bone-in breasts can cook in about 45 minutes at 400 F
- an organic pre-cooked rotisserie chicken takes no time at all
And I really like this organic, gluten-free Hickory BBQ sauce. But again there are a lot of options for the BBQ sauce.
Healthified BBQ Chicken Tacos
Taking one of our favorite Taco Tuesday treats, BBQ chicken tacos, and making them a little more healthy by using gluten-free and organic ingredients.
- 1 small organic air-chilled chicken (4 cups shredded)
- 1 cup HEB Organics GF Hickory BBQ sauce
- 12 non-GMO corn tortilla sliders
- 1/2 cup organic rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp local wildflower honey
- 1 bag organic broccoli carrot slaw
- 1 tsp organic celery seed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from oven when chicken is cooked through and set aside to cool.
When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred. Add the BBQ sauce to coat the shredded chicken.
Meanwhile, make the slaw. Whisk together the vinegar and honey. Wash the broccoli slaw and place in a ziploc bag. Add the vinegar mixture and celery seed. Shake the bag and place in the refrigerator for about an hour. Flip once or twice so everything is coated. Drain any excess liquid before adding to the tacos.
When ready to assemble the tacos, place a wet paper towel on a microwave safe plate. Stack each tortilla on the paper towel and spray with olive oil. Wrap the paper towel around the stack and microwave for 1 minute to make them pliable.
Serve the corn tortillas stacked with the shredded BBQ chicken and slaw on top. Enjoy!