Great Tips for Ordering Gluten-Free at the Office
8 Great Tips for Ordering Gluten-Free at the Office
I was super excited to get this infographic from ZeroCater.com to add to my website and share with my readers. It is hard enough to learn how to eat gluten-free in the first place. Or how to choose restaurants and dine out safely. But what about at work?
What happens when you are in charge of ordering lunch (or dinner depending on the hours you keep) at the office and there are people who can’t eat gluten. This might be easier for someone who has celiac disease or has been on a gluten-free diet for awhile and is familiar with restaurants that are local and safe.
If someone can’t eat gluten because of celiac disease, one of the most important things in navigating the gluten-free world is being aware of potential sources of cross-contamination. There are lots of places that serve “gluten-free” or gluten-friendly food but it isn’t celiac safe.
Be aware of how food is prepared and sources of potential cross-contamination:
- pizza places using a gluten-free pizza crust may still cook pizza in the same oven as regular pizza
- fried chicken place serves GF chicken dreaded in a GF flour, but they are still cooked in the same oil as the regular food
- GF bagels may be toasted in a cross-contaminated toaster
- GF pasta may be cooked in the same boiling water as regular pasta
- fried GF food should be cooked in a dedicated fryer
- oats should be certified gluten-free because there could be contamination during harvesting or in the field
So if you are a newbie, here are some great tips for ordering gluten-free at the office!
Thanks for the super helpful infographic ZeroCater.com!
Want more Tips for Eating Out Gluten-Free in Austin?
Central, East & South Austin Restaurants