Easy Roasted Mesquite Smoked Asparagus
Grilled Smoked Asparagus
One of our favorite restaurants, District Kitchen + Cocktails, serves the most delicious seasonal and locally sourced food. And so much of it can be made gluten-free.
Right now asparagus is plentiful and in season and of course on their menu.
I love asparagus because it is a detoxifier (glutathione), feeds the gut bacteria (inulin) and contains lots of vitamins and minerals. But I LOVE the asparagus they serve at District. They always knock it out of the park.
It is grilled and has this lovely woody smoky flavor. So of course I had to try it at home. Usually I just blanch asparagus or throw it in the oven with other roasting veggies near the end. But I needed to add this to our repertoire!
Baked Mesquite Smoked Asparagus
We don’t have an outdoor grill so I thought why not impart some of that smoky wood flavor with my favorite little kitchen cheat – liquid smoke.
Colgin Mesquite Liquid Smoke is vegan and gluten-free.
The liquid smoke also comes in different flavors like hickory, pecan and apple smoke. But mesquite is what we have in the pantry right now, so mesquite smoked asparagus it is.
We just baked the asparagus in the oven after tossing it in a little olive oil and a generous amount of the mesquite liquid smoke.
I wasn’t sure if it would work but it did! The asparagus was awesome.
To prep the asparagus just snap off the ends. There is a natural break where the harder bottom part comes off. Wash, dry, toss in EVOO/liquid smoke, and bake it at 425 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. Then sprinkle with a little salt & pepper.
So easy and so good!
Want More Recipes Like Mesquite Smoked Asparagus?
- Clean Eating Fancy Green Beans
- Smoky Cabbage Slaw
- Sweet & Spicy Roasted Cabbage
- Roasted Spiced Potatoes
- Shishito Peppers with Spiked Chipotle Mayo
- Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
- Sweet Chili Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Baked Crispy Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
Mesquite Smoked Asparagus | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 20 asparagus stalks
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 2-3 tbsp gluten-free Mesquite liquid smoke
- Freshly Ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash the asparagus spears then blot with a paper towel to dry. Break off the bottom of the asparagus at the natural breaking point.
- Place into a baking dish and toss with EVOO and liquid smoke.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until done depending on the thickness of the spears.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper before serving.