Italian Veggie Popover Pizza | Gluten-Free
All the Veggies!
We’re having a Veggie Potluck Party today to celebrate the release of The Casual Veggie Cookbook!
And I’m bringing an Italian Veggie Popover Pizza. It’s a casserole dish that tastes like a veggie pizza!
Perfect for Meatless Monday dinners and a great way to use up some extra veggies.
I found the original version of this recipe in the Old Farmer’s Almanac Garden Fresh Cookbook.
But of course, I made a few adjustments to make it gluten free (with an all-purpose gluten free flour) and used veggies I like better and usually have around.
It’s pretty flexible and super easy!
- Lay all the veggies on a sheet pan and roast them in the oven with a little EVOO, salt, pepper.
- You can a little Italian seasoning or other herbs, too.
- You can use marinara sauce or pizza sauce.
- You can add a layer of cheese under the batter for the crust if you aren’t avoiding dairy.
Personally, I can’t eat dairy but I can tolerate a little Parmesan cheese so I like to add a little to the top of the batter so it creates a nice salty cheese-like crust.
My husband really loves this dish, too.
Italian Veggie Popover Pizza
A super versatile way to use up all those summer veggies in a pizza flavored casserole-like dish. It's gluten-free and can be dairy-free, too!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk organic celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 2 cups spicy marinara sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 2-3 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup GF all-purpose flour (no xanthan gum)
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash, rinse and dry the vegetables (zucchini, green bell pepper, eggplant and fresh broccoli). Clean the mushrooms (I usually wash then wipe). Rinse the celery. Prep the veggies.
Toss the veggies on a baking sheet with 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO, salt and pepper (add a little Italian seasoning or herbs if you've got some handy) and bake for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are starting to brown.
- For the “pizza crust” topping, mix together the egg, almond milk and 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a medium bowl. Add the flour, guar gum, and 1/4 tsp salt then beat until smooth.
Transfer the veggies to a 5×8 baking dish and mix with the marinara (or pizza sauce). Add a layer of cheese (if using) and then evenly spread the batter over the vegetable/cheese layer. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if using). Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is puffed and golden brown.
Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
The Casual Veggie Cookbook
If you love veggies or you are trying to love veggies and eat more – we’ve got the cookbook for you!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on the cookbook link and buy the cookbook, I’ll receive a commission. This helps to put food on my table and on the blog!
The Weekly Menu – Italian Veggie Popover Pizza (this is me!)