Homemade Easy Baked Mexican Rice
A versatile method for cooking Mexican rice by lightly frying Basmati rice then adding tomato sauce, or salsa, or puree and then baking in the oven.
Easy Mexican Rice
Maybe because I’m half Persian and always have Basmati rice in the pantry, but I just love rice dishes. All kinds of rice dishes from sweet to savory.
My mom used to make this decadent sweet carrot rice for special occasions now we make it more often since it’s a slightly cleaner version. Basically it is just a simple combo of avocado oil, carrots, organic cane sugar and rice! It is really delicious.
And I just love this restaurant style Tex-Mex rice! Oh and then there is Cajun bison dirty rice. One of my absolute favorites.
Another one of our favorite side dishes is this recipe for naturally gluten-free, dairy-free Mexican rice.
You can make it so many different ways and depending on what you have on hand.
It starts with frying white Basmati rice in olive oil, but from there the recipe is really versatile.
- It is a great way to use up extra salsa.
- Or if I’ve got extra tomato sauce or paste.
- You can make a veggie puree of onion and tomato and spices like cumin and coriander added to the rice.
Just fry the rice and add your tomato base, spices and enough liquid.
It makes a lot of rice and will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days after you make it. You can also freeze it, too. Just thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave.
It is great added to burrito bowls or served with beans or fajitas.
Looking for More Rice Recipes?
- Ghormeh Sabzi with Basmati Rice
- Wild Rice and Lentil Soup
- Healthified Stuffed Peppers
- Mango Black Bean Wild Rice Salad
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Asian Fried Rice
- Smoked Gouda Goat Cheese and Broccoli Rice
Mexican Rice | Gluten-Free Dairy-Free
Mexican rice makes a great gluten-free, dairy-free side dish and is very versatile depending on what ingredients you have on hand
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup GF salsa
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water)
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Lime juice to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the rice in a strainer and shake out excess water.
- Slowly heat oil in a medium saucepan (with a tight fitting lid) over medium low heat. Fry the rice in the olive oil until light brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, salsa, chicken broth and cilantro. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally then secure the lid and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, stirring once. When done, fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt and lime juice to taste. Serve along with your favorite dishes.
- Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
I love good Mexican rice! I’ll have to try these recipes out!
Oh good! They are a hit at our house – hope you like them, too!