BBQ Chicken Tacos & Slaw | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Gotta Love Taco Tuesdays!
Today’s recipe is a super simple recipe for BBQ Chicken Tacos!
We live in Austin, Texas so it shouldn’t be surprising that we eat a lot of tacos. Either out or at home.
They are so easy to make and the combos are endless.
These super tasty BBQ chicken tacos with cabbage slaw combine a little sweet and spice and are naturally casein, dairy, and gluten-free.
Also keep in mind that not all corn tortillas are gluten-free so make sure they don’t also contain wheat or flour.
And it’s better to find non-GMO corn tortillas if you can to avoid the Round-up (glyphosate) residues from corn.
My husband likes to experiment with making BBQ sauce.
Lately, he’s been doctoring up the Neely’s BBQ sauce recipe using molasses instead of brown sugar and raw cane sugar instead of refined sugar.
He adds red crushed pepper for a little heat.
It’s really tasty and it keeps in the fridge for a few weeks so we’ll have a little here and there. It’s not the healthiest condiment so use it in moderation.
And there are so many GF BBQ sauces out on the market these days so there are tons of options and different flavor profiles.
Typically, I would only use 1 large chicken breast to make a dinner for us but the leftovers make fantastic sandwiches on hamburger buns, too so we make extra chicken slathered in BBQ sauce!
BBQ Chicken Tacos & Slaw
- 2 large bone-in split chicken breasts
- GF BBQ sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 3 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp local honey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breast in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 hour. Remove when chicken breasts are cooked through and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the breast meat from the bone and shred.
- Add your favorite BBQ sauce to coat the shredded chicken.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw by mixing together the cabbage, shallots, celery seed, rice vinegar and honey. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
- When ready to assemble the tacos, place a wet paper towel on a microwave safe plate. Stack each tortilla on the paper towel and spray with olive oil. Wrap the paper towel around the stack and microwave for 1 minute to make them pliable.
- Serve the corn tortillas stacked with the shredded BBQ chicken and coleslaw on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro if you like it. Yum!
Use chicken from one breast for this meal and store the remaining chicken in the fridge for lunch or dinner the next day. You should also have extra slaw that can be stored in the fridge as well.