Gluten-Free Herbed Meatballs
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Meatballs
They are wonderful to have around because they can be used in so many different recipes.
- meatballs subs with red sauce
- classic spaghetti and meatballs
- put them on pizza
- use them in soup like Italian wedding soup
- even eat them all by themselves
They are so easy to make with just a few simple clean ingredients. You can use organic ground chicken or ground turkey.
This is a tweaked version of Giada’s recipe for classic Italian turkey meatballs, which is by far my fav!
You can change up the spices by using Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning or even just seasoned salt.
I save the ends of gluten-free, dairy-free bread in the freezer to make the bread crumbs for the meatballs.
Just thaw the bread ends and pulse in a mini-prep or food processor. And you have wonderful bread crumbs that work perfectly in this meatball recipe.
Make sure everything else is gluten-free and organic when possible.
When we make spaghetti and meatballs, I like to use Bionaturae Italian organic gluten-free pasta. It is really awesome. I also use their jarred tomato paste in the meatballs. Then use the remainder of the paste to make a red sauce.
The red sauce is usually garlic, onion flakes and crushed pepper cooked in olive oil for a minute or two. Then add white wine and cook that down a bit. Next goes in the Italian herbs, tomato paste, water, seasoned salt and a little agave. Cook for a little bit and boy does it turn out delicious!
And you don’t have an open jar of tomato paste in the fridge you need to use by next week.
Herbed Meatballs | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
These herbed meatballs are delicious, easy to make, and freeze really well. Make up a big batch so you have easy dinners ready to go!
- 1 1/2 cups GF DF breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp dried basil)
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 small onion, minced (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 tsp Italian or poultry seasoning (preferably organic)
- 2 lb organic ground chicken (or ground turkey)
- Olive oil, for spraying
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash, rinse and dry the Italian parsley and basil. Pick off the leaves and discard the stems. Chop.
- Grind up GFCF white bread in a mini-prep to make fresh breadcrumbs (if bread is frozen, thaw before grinding).
- Combine the breadcrumbs, basil, parsley, water, tomato paste, salt, pepper, eggs, garlic and onions, and Italian or poultry seasoning and stir to blend together. Add the ground turkey. Using fingers, gently mix all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- With wet hands, measure out and roll the meatballs about the size of a golf ball. Place the meatballs on a foil covered baking sheet (or on a cast iron grill pan or cooking rack placed over a baking sheet), spray with olive oil and bake until cooked through, about 18-20 minutes.
- When the meatballs are done remove from oven. Let cool before freezing. Enjoy the many options available with your beautiful homemade meatballs!