Oven Roasted Lightly Spiced Potatoes
Roasted Spiced Potatoes
This is one of our favorite side dishes – roasted spiced potatoes!
And if you like roasted potatoes, you’ll love these spiced potato wedge nachos. A happy accident with chili seasoned potatoes, vegan nacho cheese and pickled jalapeño peppers.
These potato wedges are naturally gluten and casein-free (check your spices) and super easy to make with any kind of potato.
We definitely only buy organic potatoes though. I read years ago that potatoes are heavily doused in pesticides. And they routinely show up on the EWG dirty dozen list.
I really like potatoes because they actually contain a lot of nutrients – potassium, fiber, calcium, vitamin C, iron, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
It’s crazy that a medium potato has more potassium than a banana or cup of broccoli!
You could easily use sweet potatoes here instead of regular potatoes and roast them to crispy perfection.
Finding the right kind of oil is important, too. You want to use a healthy oil like avocado oil, ghee or olive oil.
Avocado oil, it is a super healthy fat and has a high smoke point.
But not all olive oils are the same. The olive oil should have a high smoke point because we are baking it a 450 degrees F.
Part of the cooking method is to heat the oil in a baking dish in the oven before adding the potatoes. Then they are tossed in the hot oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper before going back into the oven.
Cooking time will depend on the type of potato. Check on them and toss at least once. We add the spices about 15 minutes before they are done.
Boy do they go great with some GF ketchup or step it up a notch with this GFCF Hollandaise sauce or faux Béarnaise! Yum!
Roasted Spiced Potatoes | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Simple to make homemade spiced potato wedeges are baked in the oven and make a perfect side dish or appetizer.
- 4 medium organic potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, avocado oil or ghee
- Himalayan pink salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- Preheat oven 450 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Cut into wedges lengthwise.
- Place the oil in a baking dish and heat in the oven for 1-2 minutes. Carefully remove the hot baking dish from the oven and add potatoes. Toss potatoes in oil with a spatula. Arrange skin side down in baking dish. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, checking for browning on the edges.
- Mix together the garlic powder, Ancho chili powder and Mexican oregano. Sprinkle over the potatoes 15 minutes before the potatoes are done roasting. Toss before serving.
We typically use an olive oil with a pretty high smoke point. Make sure you use a really good quality olive oil that doesn’t smoke when you make these. Or turn the temperature down to 425 degrees F.