Easy Meat Sauce | Gluten-Free
Easy Meat Sauce
This easy meat sauce recipe with mini lasagna noodles is one of our favorite easy and tasty dinners.
Start with cooking down onions and garlic, which are a great boost to the immune system. Then add the ground turkey, chicken or bison and tomato sauce.
You could just brown up the meat and add a jar of marinara sauce.
But I love to add fresh garlic and onions whenever I can to a recipe. They are a great source of dietary fiber our gut bugs need to thrive.
And then to deepen the flavors we add some red wine, Italian seasonings, crushed red pepper and fresh basil.
Serving it with these gluten-free mini lasagna noodles make it seem like a deconstructed version of lasagna. And I’m grateful that I can tolerate a little Parmesan cheese.
So this recipe makes enough for four people. But since it is just the two of us, I like to freeze half of it for another night. Or it keeps for a couple of days and makes a great lunch.
I mean what is better than a quick and easy meal cooked up and then another free meal with no cooking involved later on. I’ll take it!
Easy Meat Sauce
An easy and satisfying week day meal made with ground turkey, chicken or bison and red sauce served with gluten-free pasta, fresh basil and Parmesan.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1.25 – 1.5 lb lean ground turkey meat
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 24 oz jar of tomato sauce or marinara
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Fresh basil for garnish
- GF pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a 3.5-quart Dutch oven over medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add the ground turkey, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain off the fat (I usually tilt the Dutch oven and ladle out the excess fat).
- Add the marinara sauce (or tomato sauce), wine and spices. Fill the jar with the water and shake – add it to the pot, too. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook your favorite GF pasta according to directions. Drain and divide between 2 large bowls. Spoon the 1/2 of the meat sauce onto the pasta and garnish with fresh basil. The rest will be frozen for another meal (let the meat sauce you are saving cool before freezing).