Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies
I love brownies! I don’t have a sweet tooth but I do love a chewy gooey brownie. And why not healthify them. These chocolate sweet potato brownies are delicious, nutritious and allergy friendly.
I’ve made them allergy friendly by making them eggless, gluten-free, casein-free, dairy-free, nut-free and soy-free.
But how do we make these a little more nutritious?
Well instead of bleached flour, sugar, butter, chocolate and eggs – we are adding in stuff that is really much better for you.
We use mashed sweet potato, ghee, organic raw cane sugar, gluten-free flour, cinnamon, cayenne and ripe mashed banana. Then just add cocoa powder and a few baking ingredients to make an amazing brownie out of it.
The recipe is also very versatile. You can use different oils in the recipe instead of ghee. A vegan butter, coconut oil, or a fair trade palm oil vegetable shortening.
You could really use any type of gluten free flour in this recipe, too. I like certified GF oat flour or Bob Red Mill’s all-purpose bean blend (no xanthan gum). White sorghum or millet flours are also a great source of dietary fiber.
I use the potato starch as an egg replacement.
And if you aren’t allergic to nuts, add some walnuts to recipe as well. It’s very easy to make this recipe for chocolate sweet potato brownies your own and adjust to your specific dietary restrictions.
Make sure all of your ingredients (cocoa powder, spices, etc.) are gluten-free and not processed at a facility with WHEAT. Buy organic whenever possible to avoid trace pesticides and glyphosate in food.
I usually buy several large sweet potatoes at a time, then cook, mash and freeze them. This will save you so much time in prepping the ingredients. After they cool, divide the sweet potato mash into 1-cup containers and freeze. Then you can just thaw in the fridge overnight before using. You can also freeze really ripe bananas, too.
Enjoy the chewy gooey deliciousness!
Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies
These gluten-free chocolate sweet potato brownies are delicious, nutritious and allergy friendly.
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup ghee at room temperature
- 1 cup organic raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Add to filtered water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Drain them and let cool a bit. Either mash with a fork or mixer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the sweet potatoes and ghee. Add the sugar and vanilla then the cocoa powder. Mix at medium speed until blended. Mix together the flour, potato starch, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Add to the wet mixture and gently mix on medium low until just combined. Add the banana and beat at a higher speed until smooth.
- Line a brownie pan or stoneware with parchment paper. Spread out the brownie batter evenly and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a cooling rack before slicing. Store in the fridge.
Let bananas ripen until almost black, then peel and freeze them in 1 cup containers so that you always have ripe banana on hand.