Mini-Prep No-Cheese Kale Pesto
Kale pesto is such an easy thing to whip up in the blender. Usually it is made with fresh basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, lemon and olive oil. But I wanted to try it with everyone’s favorite superfood – kale.
And we took out the Parmesan to make it casein/dairy-free. It turned out wonderful.
Toss is with some gluten-free pasta and you have an easy, tasty, quick dinner! Perfect for Meatless Monday!
Or you can make it a pasta side dish with roasted spiced chicken or herbed turkey meatballs. I’ve also used pesto on top of a cooked chicken breast and covered with bacon based on a dish I had years ago at Kerbey Lane.
There are so many uses for pesto. In soups, with pasta, on toast, in salads. Check out 50 thing to make with pesto from the Food Network.
You could always add a little basil to it as well. Or any types of greens really. Get creative.
And it freezes really well, too. So use what you need and store the rest for an easy dinner later on.
Want More Recipes Like Kale Pesto?
- Grape Leaf Chimichurri Sauce
- Spinach Goat Feta Pasty Puffs
- Favorite Kale Salads
- Pasta Primavera
- Easy Meatless Monday Linguine
- Mesquite Asparagus
- Faux Queso
- Dairy-Free Hollandaise
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Kale Pesto
Enjoy this kale pesto with gluten-free pasta for a delicious and easy Meatless Monday meal or a lovely dside dish or topping with roasted chicken.
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Juice from 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed
- Lemon zest
- 4 cups organic kale trimmed and washed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
To make the pesto, add the toasted pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and zest to a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Add the kale and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down the sides several times. Add salt and pepper.
- Slowly stream the olive oil while pulsing until the pesto thickens. Adjust seasonings to taste.