Homemade Healthified Turkey Sloppy Joes
Healthified Sloppy Joes
I used to love when my mom made Manwich Sloppy Joes from the can growing up!
I haven’t had one in years… but after watching Rachel Ray make them on the Food Network the other day, I just had to try a homemade gluten-free healthified version.
To clean and lean up the recipe use:
- ground turkey, chicken or bison instead of ground beef
- tomato sauce and tomato paste from a jar (canned tomatoes can be problematic because BPA in the lining leaches into the acidic tomato sauces)
- gluten-free steak seasoning
- organic red bell peppers, onions, and other ingredients when possible
I cut the original Rachel Ray recipe in half because I’m only cooking for two. And we ate them open-faced (well I only had half a burger bun).
Because the sloppy joes are on the sweet side, it is fun to serve them with something a little on the salty side.
We’ve also been making our own kale chips to have with the sloppy joes, too. It’s so easy to make them at home. Yum!
What do you need to make homemade kale chips?
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
To prep the kale, pull the fringe off of the kale and discard or compost the stems. Wash, rinse and dry.
Toss the kale with the olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 7-10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Want More Recipes Like Turkey Sloppy Joes?
- turkey and veggie chili
- herbed turkey meatballs
- healthified stuffed peppers
- easy thai turkey burgers
- meatloaf stuffed peppers with BBQ sauce
- chicken breakfast sausage
- philly cheesesteak bison pizza
- healthy taco night
- dairy-free “beef” stroganoff
Sloppy Joes | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Clean up and lean up Rachel Ray’s awesome recipe for sloppy joes!
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 0.75 lb natural antibiotic-free ground turkey
- 2 tbsp organic brown sugar
- 2 tsp GF McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 small organic onion, chopped
- 1 small organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp GF Worcestershire sauce (like Lea & Perrins)
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 2 GF hamburger buns
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the oil and ground turkey.
Mix the steak seasoning and brown sugar together. Add the spices to the ground turkey meat in the skillet and cook until browned, about 7 minutes.
Add the onions and red bell pepper. Cook down the mixture until the veggies are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and sauce to the skillet. Simmer over medium low heat for 5 – 10 minutes longer.
- Toast the hamburger buns in the oven under the broiler. When ready, scoop the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the buns. Enjoy!