Gluten-Free Cheesesteak Casserole #glutenfree
I used to love a good old Betty Crocker casserole for sure! And thought wouldn’t it be fun to take some classics and adapt them to my dietary restrictions now that I can eat goat cheese. So I’ve been on a casserole kick lately. And you know what I haven’t had in about 7 or 8 years – a Philly Cheesesteak. So I’m all over adapting this Betty Crocker recipe for Philly Cheese and Ground Beef Casserole into a gluten-free cheesesteak casserole!
Gluten-Free Cheesesteak Casserole
I’m going make it gluten-free by substituting the bread topping using this recipe. Although this time, I’m going to use a different flour than in the original and guar gum instead of xanthan gum. I prefer using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose baking flour because it has a little more dietary fiber than regular flour. So it’s a little more nutritious for you even though it isn’t as pretty.
And to deal with casein and dairy issues, I’m using ghee instead of butter. You could probably cook the vegetables in olive oil instead. But I make ghee and have quite a bit on hand. I really like the flavor it adds.
And I’m super excited because I found this wonderful Dutch goat cheese slices at Trader Joe’s. They don’t have a strong goat cheese flavor and are melty enough to work in this casserole.
My husband isn’t a huge fan of mushrooms so we are going to use a little less and chop them very finely so that they almost disappear into the ground beef. We get the umami flavor without the texture.
Fat Draining Tip: How do you usually drain off fat when cooking down ground beef in a skillet? One of the easiest ways that I’ve been doing it, is to scrape the meat over to one side then tilting the skillet. The fat and grease run down to the other side. Then I ladle it out into a little dish to discard.
Okay so back to the gluten-free cheesesteak casserole. I also add a little steak seasoning to give the beef a little more flavor. We buy organic spices in bulk and I make up my own steak seasoning blend. Here is a recipe to copycat McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. We also like to use a mixture of Pink Himalayan salt and iodized salt instead of just one or the other. Make sure to taste test as you go along adding salt here or there when needed.
So once the beef is done, place it into the casserole. Then cook the veggies and ghee in the same skillet. Then layer the beef with cheese and the cooked veggies. Make up the bread mixture and pour over the top. Bake and then enjoy your gluten-free cheesesteak casserole! We sure did. 🙂
Serving Size: 6
20 minPrep Time:
30 minCook Time:
50 minTotal Time:
- 1 lb antibiotic-, hormone-free ground beef
- 3 oz cremini mushroom caps, finely chopped
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 large organic onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 organic red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 organic green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cloves organic garlic, finely minced
- 8 slices Trader Joe's Goat's Milk Dutch cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk creamer (or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour (no xanthan gum)
- 2 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash and prep all the vegetables. Usually the mushrooms are washed under filtered water then wiped with a paper towel before chopping.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Add the ground beef, chopped mushrooms, steak seasoning, and pepper to a large skillet and cook over medium high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon to break up the meat until the meat is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain off any excess fat. Transfer to either a 13x9 or deep dish 9x9 casserole baking dish. Taste to see if it needs any more salt.
- Wipe down the skillet and then add the ghee to the skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic with and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the bread topping by whisking the eggs, coconut milk and olive oil together in a medium size bowl (or 2-cup measuring glass). Add the flour, guar gum and salt to the liquid mixture and stir until well combined.
- Next assemble the casserole. Add the cheese slices on top of the meat mixture. Layering the cheese over each other slices if necessary. Then add the onion and pepper mixture over the cheese. Pour the bread topping over the peppers. Place the casserole dish isn the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes after pulling it from the oven before serving. Enjoy!