Gluten-free Lemon Ricotta Cookies #glutenfree
Gluten-Free Lemon Ricotta Cookies
These gluten-free lemon ricotta cookies are made with Kite Hill Almond Milk Ricotta Cheese and a blend of gluten free flours. They are light and fluffy with a little sweet, lemony tang from the glaze. It was my first swing at this recipe and I’m super excited about how they turned out.
I originally bought the ricotta to use in a baked ziti dish but changed the recipe at the last minute and used a cheesy béchamel sauce instead. So I had a container of this almond based ricotta cheese and didn’t want it to go to waste. So I thought why not make cookies. I used the fabulous Giada’s recipe for lemon ricotta cookies with lemon glaze as a starting point.
The Kite Hill Ricotta comes in an 8 ounce container instead of the typical 15 ounce ricotta containers so I just cut her recipe in half. Then I had to decide which gluten free flours to use. Because I wanted the cookies to be lighter, I choose sweet white rice flour, tapioca and potato starch.
And we’ve also started using organic cane sugar from Wholesome in our baking. It is a finer crystal than the raw cane turbinado sugar that I particularly like for sprinkle on top of cookies and muffins.
I used an ice cream scoop to transfer the cookie dough onto parchment paper placed onto a cookie sheet. When I baked the first batch, I noticed that they did not change shape. So I flattened the cookies in the second batch. But the ball form cookies actually had a slightly nicer texture. The batter made 28 cookies using a 1 1/2-inch scooper.
At first I wasn’t going to add the lemon glaze, but they aren’t very sweet so I went ahead and added a few squeezes of lemon juice to a few tablespoons of powered sugar to make a kind of a glaze and spooned just a little bit onto each cookie. It absorbed into the cookie instead of creating a hard shell. They were really delicious, light and fluffy! Yay.
- 3/4 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 salt
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee, softened
- 1 egg
- 8 oz Kite Hill Almond Milk Ricotta
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Raw cane turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flours, guar gum, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand alone mixer or large bowl, beat together the softened ghee and organic cane sugar. Once that is nice and creamy - add the egg, then the ricotta cheese and lastly the lemon juice and zest. Mix until well combined.
- Now add the dry ingredients and beat until everything is well-combined.
- Use an ice cream scooper or spoon to transfer the cookie dough to the baking sheets. If you would like, sprinkle with a little raw cane turbinado sugar. Then bake for about 15 minutes (I prefer to cook only one baking sheet at a time). Transfer the cookies and parchment paper to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Spoon a little over each of the cookies and let absorb into the cookie.