Baked Penne with Bison #glutenfree
Gluten-free Baked Penne with Bison
So while everyone else is vowing to eat better this new year – I’m starting off the year making a bunch of pasta and goat cheese dishes. 🙂
Ever since we found bionaturae gluten free Italian pasta, I have been in pasta heaven. The taste and texture really beats any of the other gluten free pastas I’ve tried so far. It is made with organic rice, potato and soy. And when cooked al dente, it really held up to the sauce in the casserole. And leftovers were the bomb.
So this baked penne is based on Bon Appetite’s Best Baked Ziti wherein they use a béchamel sauce and Parmesan instead of ricotta cheese. Spectacular!
We modified some of the ingredients to fit within my dietary restrictions. I used bionaturae gluten free penne pasta (cooking for only 5 minutes before adding it to the casserole with all the other goodies). Then made the roux with ghee and GF all purpose flour from Bob’s Red Mill (bean blend without xanthan gum). Then I made a béchamel by adding in So Delicious coconut milk creamer diluted with a little water. I also used organic store-bought marinara sauce instead of making my own sauce because it was so much quicker and easier. And I also added ground bison to it because why not.
You know, I’ve really been wanting to make something like this for a long time and I was so happy it turned out so well – on my first try, too. Yay! Bon appetite indeed!
- 1 tbsp melted ghee
- 1 tablespoon GF all purpose flour
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp coconut milk, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground bison
- 26 oz jar organic marinara sauce
- 8 oz gluten free pasta
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Make the béchamel sauce by adding the ghee and flour to a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the coconut milk and bring to boil. Lower the heat and let cook until nice and thick, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese (save the remaining 1/4 cup for the top of the casserole). Cover and set aside.
- Add a little olive oil to a skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Turn up the heat a little and add the ground bison, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until browned and crumbled. There shouldn't be any fat, but drain if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, boil some filtered water and add salt and the pasta. Cook for 5 minutes and then drain.
- Mix together the béchamel cheese mixture and 3/4 of the bottle of marinara sauce. Add in the pasta and bison. Stir well and then transfer to a baking dish. Pour the remaining marinara sauce from the jar on top of the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then turn the boiler to high and broil the top for about a minute or two. Remove from the oven and then let rest for a few minutes before serving. And most importantly - enjoy!