Smoked Gouda Goat Cheese Broccoli Rice #glutenfree #meatlessmonday
Smoked Gouda Goat Cheese Broccoli Rice!
This version of broccoli cheese rice is made with two kinds of goat cheese, jasmine rice, and coconut milk. It’s perfect for those of us trying to avoid casein found in cow’s milk. Plus who doesn’t love goat cheese? Or creamy cheesy broccoli rice dishes?
Recently, at my favorite store the goat cheese section expanded. We found a goat cheese smoked gouda (smoked gouda is one of my very favorites) from Holland and several different types of hard and soft cheese. Machego. Chèvre…
It made me so happy to make this again. And it was crazy good. Especially the leftovers! 😍
The ingredients in this recipe are very specific. But you can easily change them out with other non-dairy ingredients or goat cheeses or a different kind of rice. I’ve used many types of goat cheese in the Alfredo sauce. I switched from using coconut milk from a can to So Delicious coconut milk creamer because it is easier. It doesn’t thicken quite as fast as coconut milk, but will. I’ve added a little more flour to make the roux in this recipe as well.
Everything else is pretty easy. We didn’t put chicken in this recipe. Just rice, broccoli, goat cheese and Alfredo sauce… oh, and the best part which is the onion cooked with lots of thyme and white wine before you add everything else. I hope if you are like me and have had to deal with a million dietary issues, you can enjoy something as simple and wonderful as this goat cheese broccoli rice!
- 1 1/2 cups organic Jasmine rice
- 16 oz bag frozen organic broccoli
- 7-8 ounces smoked goat cheese gouda (about 2 cups grated)
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt & ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Paprika for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour (certified GF oat, bean blend, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups So Delicious coconut milk creamer
- 3-4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 tsp local honey
- Pinch of paprika
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the rice, 3 cups cold filtered water and a splash of olive oil into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Place the broccoli in a strainer and rinse with filtered water. Let thaw a bit and come to room temperature.
- Make the Alfredo sauce. Melt the ghee in a small saucepan and add the flour. Stir the roux for about 2 minutes over medium heat before adding the coconut milk. Bring to a low boil and stir until it thickens. It is ready when it sticks to a wooden spoon. Time to cook depends on the milk and flour used. Add the goat cheese, honey, paprika and salt. Stir over low heat until the cheese is melted and everything is well combined.
- In a 3.5 quart Dutch oven (or medium skillet), add the olive oil and chopped onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Add the white wine and turn the temperature to high and let simmer until the liquid is gone.
- Remove from the heat. Add the Alfredo sauce, nutmeg and smoked goat cheese gouda (reserving a small amount to sprinkle on top) to the onion mixture. If using a Dutch oven, add the rice and broccoli and mix well. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and a little paprika and cover with the lid. If using a casserole baking dish, mix with the rice and broccoli in a large bowl then transfer the mixture and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.