Happy Taco Tuesday! I thought I would share this recipe for homemade gluten free flour tortillas today. We don’t make them often because it takes a little work, but they are definitely worth it. We like all kinds of tortillas but a nice soft flour tortilla just can’t be beat. Here we use brown rice flour, tapioca, potato flour and starch, guar gum and coconut oil. Pretty simple gluten free ingredients.
I found the original recipe on the Better Batter website. I absolutely love Better Batter flour and used it in most of my gluten free baking for a long time. But as I realized that I’m sensitive to xanthan gum, we’ve started to make our own blends with guar gum.
It also helps to have a tortilla press to make the tortillas and tortilla warmer to store the tortillas until served. After combining all the ingredients, I rolled the dough into balls about the size of a golf ball.
Put some wax paper on the tortilla press and place one dough ball on it. Then press down.
Open the press and place your hand on the flattened dough and transfer to a non-stick pan. Cook over medium heat for about a minute and flip. The tortillas should brown a little bit and be flexible. Transfer each tortilla to the tortilla warmer until ready to serve. These actually kept in the fridge for a few days and could be reheated nicely by wrapping in a damp paper towel. I didn’t try freezing them, though.
Gluten Free Flour Tortillas
1 cup organic brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tbsp potato starch
2 tbsp potato flour
1 tbsp guar gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan/iodine salt blend
3 tbsp organic coconut oil
1 cup warm filtered water
- Mix the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Add flours first, guar gum, baking powder and salt first. Work in the coconut oil (at room temperature). Then add the warm water. Mix together with a fork and then knead together to form a giant ball of dough.
- Once the dough has formed, break off small handfuls and roll into balls about the size of a golf ball. You should have about 10-11 dough balls.
- Place two sheets of wax paper on a tortilla press and put a dough ball in between the wax paper. Press down the tortilla press. Open and use your hand to transfer the tortilla to a hot non-stick skillet.
- Cook for about 30 seconds – 1 minute per side, then flip. The tortillas should be slightly browned and flexible.
- Transfer to a tortilla warmer until ready to serve.
- Enjoy your Taco Tuesday!