“Healthified” Artichoke Dip #glutenfree
So you guys — this artichoke dip is amazing! Dreamy, creamy, clean eatin’ artichoke dip!!! It has been far too long since we’ve indulged in artichoke dip and this “healthified” version did not disappoint. ??
The first time I had artichoke dip was at a potluck party in graduate school in the late 1990’s. And like I always react to delicious new foods – I started to obsess and ask who brought it, how did you make it, what is this amazing thing I’m eating. The response was that I didn’t really want to know what was in it. But I did. I really did!
And it was literally –> 2 cups of mayo, 2 cups of Kraft Parmesan powdery “cheese” and 2 cans of artichokes! Holy sh*t that was good. I started to make it for every party and people had the same reaction I did. I also kept telling people they really didn’t want to know what was in it either… just enjoy it! We’ve made various versions over the years, including spinach, cream cheese, and used a variety of different cheeses.
But we haven’t made it since 2014, when I finally had to stop eating dairy because it was ripping up my digestive system. What we thought was a lactose intolerance is more likely a reaction to casein. I’m still not sure why I can eat some Parmesan cheese, but I’ll take it.
Lately, I’ve been trying goats’ milk cheese because the casein is digested differently than that from cows’ milk (read more about why here). When I found creamy goat cheese at Trader Joe’s (similar in texture to cream cheese) – my first thought was creamy artichoke dip! I use a brand of real Parmesan cheese that doesn’t cause me problems.
And homemade mayo takes it to the next level. We use this super easy recipe from the Pioneer Woman using avocado oil to whip up a batch – http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-mayonnaise/! So good.
So we made the ridiculous, delicious artichoke dip! It was so flavorful and a little lighter in texture than the “original” version. Yum! Had to share.
- 1 can non-GMO or organic artichoke hearts
- 3 organic green onions
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (or your favorite GF mayo)
- 4.5 oz goat's milk creamy cheese (like Trader Joe's)
- Dash of GF hot sauce (like Frank's or Tabasco)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse and chop the artichoke hearts, discarding any tough outer leaves.
- Rinse and chop the green onions.
- Mix together the grated Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, goat's milk creamy cheese and dash of hot sauce. Fold in the green onions and artichokes. Transfer to a small baking dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before digging in! Serve with GF chips or crackers.
We use this recipe for the homemade mayo http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-mayonnaise/