Southwestern Steak Salad #glutenfree #caseinfree
Summer time = Big Ol’ Salad time! And grilling season! So why not indulge in a steak salad loaded with veggies and a perfectly grilled steak! The nice thing is you can add whatever veggies you like or want to throw on the grill. We usually grill mushrooms and red bell peppers and now corn is in season so go ahead and grill some of that too! Whatever your heart desires. You can’t really go wrong with a steak salad.
I like to make a really simple vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, EVOO, fajita seasoning and a little honey or agave. It goes so well with all the “Southwestern” types of veggies like avocado, corn, black beans, carrots… but if I’ve got some extra broccoli, asparagus or cabbage I’ll add that to it as well. You know, eat the rainbow! Just pile it high with all those nutritional goodies.
And a lovely steak! You need a steak for a steak salad. We usually buy grass-fed sirloin but whatever you like will work. Since we live in an apartment we usually grill the steaks at 400 degrees after searing stovetop on a cast iron grill pan for a few minutes. If you’ve got an outdoor grill, you know what to do!
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp raw cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Fajita seasoning, to taste
- Light agave nectar (or honey), to taste
- 0.75 lb grass-fed sirloin steak
- Red leaf or romaine lettuce
- Your Choice of Organic Veggies: red bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, carrots, Persian cucumbers, avocado, sweet corn, shallots, red or green onions
- 1/2 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- Handful of cilantro leaves (optional)
- Olive oil (or ghee)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix together the ingredients for the fajita seasoning and store in an air-tight spice jar or container.
- Mix together the red wine vinegar and olive oil. Start by adding 1/4 teaspoon fajita seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon light agave nectar. Whisk together and taste. Continue adding fajita seasoning and agave until you reach a preferred level of spice.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the steak with a drizzle of olive oil (or ghee), salt and pepper. Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium high heat. Sear the steak for 2-3 minutes per side then place in the oven to finish cooking to desired doneness. Set aside and let rest before slicing.
- Wash and rinse the veggies before prepping. I like to roast the red bell pepper and mushrooms in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Divide the lettuce, veggies and black beans in two large bowls. Pour the vinaigrette over the salads then add the beef. Enjoy your nutritious bowl of delicious!
Tip: Make sure your spices are gluten-free and preferably organic.