Italian Veggie Popover Pizza #TheCasualVeggie Potluck
We’re having a Veggie Potluck Party today to celebrate the release of The Casual Veggie Cookbook! And I’m bringing an Italian Veggie Popover Pizza. It’s a casserole dish that tastes like a veggie pizza! Perfect for Meatless Monday dinners and a great way to use up some extra veggies.
I found the original version of this recipe in the Old Farmer’s Almanac Garden Fresh Cookbook. But of course, I made a few adjustments to make it gluten free (with an all-purpose gluten free flour) and used veggies I like better and usually have around. Also, instead of cooking the veggies on the stove top – I really like to just lay everything out on a sheet pan and roast them in the oven with a little EVOO, salt, pepper and, in this case, a little Italian seasoning sprinkled on the eggplant and zucchini. So much easier than standing over the stove stirring them in a pot.
Sometimes I use 18 oz marinara sauce but I’ve also used a 14 0z jar of Classico pizza sauce (also gluten free) to make this dish. It’s pretty flexible. And you can add a layer of cheese under the batter if you aren’t avoiding dairy – I list it as an optional ingredient in the recipe. Personally, I can’t eat dairy but I can tolerate a little Parmesan cheese (although it is not casein/dairy free) so I like to add a little to the top of the batter so it creates a nice salty cheese-like crust. My husband really loves this dish, too.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk organic celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets (fresh or frozen), chopped
- 2 1/4 cup spicy marinara sauce
- 2 slices provolone or 4 oz mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup GF all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash, rinse and dry the vegetables (zucchini, green bell pepper, eggplant and fresh broccoli). Clean the mushrooms (I usually wash then wipe). Rinse the celery. Prep the veggies.
- Toss the veggies on a baking sheet with 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO, salt and pepper (add a little Italian seasoning on the eggplant if you've got some handy) and bake for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are starting to brown.
- For the "pizza crust" topping, mix together the egg, almond milk and 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a medium bowl. Add the flour and 1/4 tsp salt, and then beat until smooth.
- Transfer the veggies to a 5x8 baking dish and mix with the marinara (or pizza sauce). Add a layer of cheese (if using) and then evenly spread the batter over the vegetable/cheese layer. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is puffed and golden brown.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
I use store bought GF spicy marinara sauce or GF pizza sauce and GF all-purpose flour containing xanthan gum.
If you love veggies or you are trying to love veggies and eat more – we’ve got the cookbook for you!
Click on the cookbook to purchase from eJunkie. It will download as a PDF file that can be read on any device or from your computer. You can also print specific pages and recipes if you prefer hard copies. This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on the cookbook link and buy the cookbook, I’ll receive a commission. This helps to put food on my table and on the blog!
The Weekly Menu – Italian Veggie Popover Pizza (this is me!)