Asian Turkey Burgers #glutenfree #caseinfree
Happy 4th of July!
Hope you are enjoying the holiday weekend. What are you making this weekend? We’re cooking up some Asian turkey burgers.
This is such an easy and scrumptious recipe for gluten-free, dairy/casein-free turkey burgers packed full of flavor! Made with a little GF soy sauce or substitute coconut aminos if avoiding soy sauce, Thai red curry paste, chives or green onions, salt and pepper – that’s it! If you like a little more heat you could could add a pinch of cayenne pepper or dried Thai chili pepper.
Then you can change up the condiments. Maybe a little spicy aioli? Pickled veggies?
First, I we tried our Asian turkey burgers with some “pickled” veggies (in the recipe below). I really liked it this way, but sometimes I’m not feeling the extra work that it takes to do the quick pickling.
So we’ve tried the Asian turkey burgers with a little GFCF mayo spiked with Frank’s RedHot sauce as a spread. You could always add the Thai curry sauce, or Thai chili peppers to the mayo. Or create your own, fun spicy aioli. We’ve also used fresh basil instead of lettuce, too because we’ve got so much growing right now. And it was so good!
Any way that we’ve made it – these Asian turkey burgers are really easy, flavorful and we just don’t get tired of them.
We now serve them on hamburger buns which don’t contain xanthan gum, such as Little Northern Bakehouse or buns made with Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix. Serve with roasted spiced potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes. Yum! I might turn these into sliders the next time I entertain (making small GF buns in a muffin tin). Anyway, enjoy!
Serving Size: 2
- 0.75 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp GF Thai red curry paste
- 2 tsp GF soy sauce (or coconut aminos if avoiding soy)
- 1 tsp fresh chopped chives
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 GF hamburger buns
- 1/3 cup English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cucumber slices, shallot, cilantro leaves, vinegar and lime juice. Let sit at room temperature, tossing every so often, then drain off any excess liquid before assembling the burgers.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground turkey, Thai red curry paste, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), chives, salt and pepper with your hands until well combined. Form into two patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium high heat and sear each side for 2 minutes then transfer to the oven and continue cooking for 5-8 minutes. Alternatively, place the burgers on a grill pan and place directly in the oven. Cook for 6 minutes, flip the burgers once and cook for another 6 minutes or until done (so much easier and you get better grill marks).
- Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes before transferring to the hamburger buns then pile sliced cucumbers on top (or lettuce, GFCF mayo, basil…).
I use Jennie-O 85/15 lean ground turkey meat and Thai Kitchen GF red curry paste.