Mango Chutney Chicken Salad #glutenfree #dairyfree
This mango chutney chicken salad is so flavorful and packed with all types of nutritional goodies – cultured probiotics; good spices like turmeric, cayenne and pink salt; vitamins and minerals from the mango, fresh greens, seeds and nuts. There are so many layers of flavor, especially from the mango chutney! And even though my husband doesn’t usually like the dishes heavy with turmeric as much as I do, he really liked this one! Perfect for summer and the leftovers make great lunches.
This gluten-free, casein-free, dairy-free version of Mango Chutney Chicken Salad is adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 GF rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 2 roasted chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup GF sweetened shredded coconut
- 20 oz fresh baby spinach
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro (or 1-2 frozen cubes cilantro in olive oil, thawed)
- 3/4 cup GFDF yogurt (optionally, whisk in a little GFDF mayonnaise to thicken)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (or 2 cubes thawed)
- 2-3 tbsp GF mango chutney
- 3/4 tbsp GF stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If roasting bone-in chicken breasts, place in an oven safe dish and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for an hour. Remove from oven, let cool and shred. If using a GF rotisserie chicken (HEB Natural or Costco), just shred the chicken and set aside.
- Toast the coconut on a baking sheet for about 10-12 minutes so that it just starts to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Wash, rinse and dry the fresh spinach and cilantro. Separate about 12 oz spinach into 2 large salad bowls (save the remainder for lunches using about 4 oz each). Pick off the cilantro leaves and discard the stems. Roughly chop. Optionally, thaw out 2 frozen cubes of cilantro (I like to wash and mince an entire bunch of cilantro, then freeze with olive oil as ice cubes stored in the freezer).
- Mix together the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, chutney, mustard, turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add the shredded chicken meat, mango, nuts and seeds. Gently toss together. Scoop the chicken salad onto the spinach. Saving about 1/3 in the fridge for lunches. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Enjoy!
I used So Delicious GFDF coconut yogurt, Stonewall Kitchen GF mango chutney and Koops’ GF stone ground mustard. Make sure the nuts and seeds were NOT processed at a facility that also processes WHEAT.