BBQ Chicken Tacos & Slaw #glutenfree #caseinfree
We live in Austin, Texas so it shouldn’t be surprising that we eat a lot of tacos. Either out or at home. They are so easy to make and the combos are endless. And it’s a great way to use up extra stuff in the fridge. These super tasty BBQ chicken tacos with cabbage coleslaw combine a little sweet and spice and are naturally casein and gluten-free. Also keep in mind that not all corn tortillas are gluten-free so make sure they don’t also contain wheat or flour.
We make our own BBQ sauce because my husband likes to experiment. Lately, he has been doctoring up the Neely’s BBQ sauce recipe, using molasses instead of brown sugar and raw cane sugar instead of refined sugar (make sure all the ingredients are gluten-free). He adds red crushed pepper for a little heat. It’s really tasty and it keeps in the fridge for a few weeks so we’ll have a little here and there. It’s not the healthiest condiment so use it in moderation.
Typically, I would only use 1 large chicken breast to make a dinner for us but the leftovers make fantastic sandwiches on hamburger buns so we make extra!
Serving Size: 4
- 2 large bone-in split chicken breasts
- GF BBQ sauce
- 6-7 corn tortillas
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp local honey
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breast in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 hour. Remove when chicken breasts are cooked through and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the breast meat from the bone and shred. Season with salt and pepper and add your favorite BBQ sauce to coat the shredded chicken.
- Meanwhile, make the coleslaw by mixing together the cabbage, shallots, celery seed, rice vinegar and honey. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
- When ready to assemble the tacos, place a wet paper towel on a microwave safe plate. Stack each tortilla on the paper towel and spray with olive oil. Wrap the paper towel around the stack and microwave for 1 minute to make them pliable. Serve the corn tortillas stacked with the shredded BBQ chicken and coleslaw on top. Yum! #TacoTuesday