Spicy Chicken Spaghetti #glutenfree #caseinfree
I originally tasted spicy chicken spaghetti at a friend’s house many, many years ago. Her father, the Judge, made it for us while I was staying at their house for the weekend. I couldn’t stop raving about it and he revealed the secret was adding jalapeños. I love that heat! I’ve tried to recreate the dish and over time got it just they way we like it. But of course, the original version was the best ever! Mmmm.
This version of spicy chicken spaghetti is super tasty and really easy. You can adjust the heat by adding more or less of the jalapeños and pickling liquid. We pickle jalapeños at home (scroll down below the white bean dip recipe for the jalapeño pickling recipe) when in season. And remember that a jalapeño’s heat can vary greatly. If you cut a fresh jalapeño and it makes you cough, then chill the slices in ice water for about 30 minutes to kill some of the heat before pickling. Otherwise, I use Jeff’s All-Natural Diced Tamed™ Pickled Jalapeños.
Also, this recipe is gluten free and dairy/casein free, but I like to add a little Parmesan cheese because I can tolerate it (but it won’t be dairy/casein free any more). And you can serve it with any type of gluten free pasta you’ve got on hand, too. Yum!
Serving Size: 2
- 1 1/2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 oz can organic tomato sauce (use BPA free cans, too)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or a few drops of garlic infused olive oil)
- 10-15 quick pickled jalapeño slices (or 1-2 tbsp Jeff's All-Natural Pickled Jalapeños)
- 1 tsp light agave (or raw cane sugar)
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- GF pasta
- Cold filtered water
- Bring some filtered water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cut the chicken into smaller pieces and add to the boiling water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat, let cool, and shred.
- Alternatively, if you have the time you could roast a bone-in chicken breast but it will take an hour to do so. Place the breast in a roasting pan and drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Then bake it at 350 degrees F for an hour. Remove from the oven and let cool a bit then cut the chicken off the bone with a knife and shred.
- In a small saucepan, heat the tomato sauce with Italian seasoning, garlic, jalapeños, 1/3 cup cold filtered water, sugar, red wine and fresh basil. Alternatively, you could easily use a jar of marinara sauce with the jalapeños, wine and basil.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the shredded chicken and cook uncovered for another 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse out the medium saucepan if you used it to boil the chicken. Bring filtered water to a boil. Add the GF pasta and cook according to directions. Drain the pasta and distribute between 2 large bowls. Top with the jalapeño infused red sauce and chicken mixture. Enjoy!