Chicken Stew with Mashies #glutenfree #caseinfree
Cold weather got you craving a warm, hearty and healthy chicken stew? Try one of my naturally gluten-free/casein-free favorites – this chicken stew with vegetables served over red mashed potatoes is a real winner winner, chicken dinner.
There are lots of flavors and textures that should put a smile on your face. Check out more seasonal recipes in my eCookbooks: The Weekly Menu II (The Winter Edition) and The Weekly Menu Cookbook. They make great gifts for #gluten-free friends and healthy eaters that enjoy cooking easy and wholesome meals with fresh ingredients!
Serving Size: 3
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz cremini mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced in to 2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 oz green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large organic carrot, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 1/2 dried rosemary)
- 2 small or 1 large bay leaf
- 3 medium organic red potatoes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 3.5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the hot oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, browning both sides. Remove to a plate and sprinkle with the poultry seasoning.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, mushrooms and red bell pepper to the Dutch oven. Cook for 5 minutes stirring continuously. Add the onion, green beans, carrot, white wine, chicken stock, tomato paste and spices. Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the browned chicken back to the pot, reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour so that the chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the cooking liquid and set aside covered in foil. Bring the remaining liquid to a boil so that it thickens then discard the bay leaves. Adjust the salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes and cut into quarters. Place in cold filtered water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender to the fork, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water and place in a stand mixer with the ghee. Beat until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables over mashed potatoes and cover with the sauce.