Black Bean Soup #glutenfree #caseinfree
This is a flavorful and nutritious soup that is best when made from scratch (no canned beans or tomatoes) and it is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and low-sodium. Use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian and omit the Worcestershire sauce (made with anchovies) to make it vegan.
It actually may be more of a meatless black bean chili than a soup. Regardless, it goes really well with added rice (plain basmati, cilantro lime rice or Mexican rice) so that you get all the amino acids you need to make a complete proteins. Or if you’ve got some corn tortillas, especially if they are getting old and a little stale, don’t throw them away! Turn them into homemade corn chips – just cut them up, spray with a little olive oil and bake at 400 degrees F until nice and crispy. Sprinkle with a little salt when done.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- 4 oz Roma tomatoes (3-4), fired-roasted and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (or GF ketchup)
- 1 tsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Ancho chili powder
- 3 cups black beans, cooked and drained
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Green onions, for garnish
- To make the beans, soak 10 ounces of dry black beans overnight. Drain and rinse then simmer in filtered water with onion flakes, a few peeled garlic cloves and a bay leaf for about 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Discard the bay leaf and drain before using.
- Wash, rinse and dry the tomatoes, bell pepper and cilantro. Pick off the cilantro leaves and discard the stems. Prep.
- First, to make the fire-roasted tomatoes set broiler to high. Cut tomatoes in half and deseed. Arrange them on a baking sheet cut side down. Put under the broiler for about 5-10 minutes so that they start roasting and blister. Let cool, peel off the skins and discard. Chop the tomato flesh.
- Heat the olive oil in a 3.5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock (or vegetable broth), tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder. Mix well, then add the black beans and turn the heat up. Bring to boil then lower the temperature, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the cilantro and cook for about 5 more minutes adding water if needed.
- Stir in the lime juice and red bell pepper before serving. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with sliced green onions and a little cilantro.