Sloppy Joes #glutenfree #caseinfree
I used to love when my mom made us Manwich Sloppy Joes growing up! I haven’t had one in years… but after watching Rachel Ray make them on the Food Network the other day, I just had to try a homemade gluten-free healthified version.
I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, homemade Udi’s copycat buns, tomato sauce and tomato paste from a jar (avoid canned food, especially canned tomatoes because BPA in the lining leaches into the acidic tomato sauces). McCormick steak seasoning is gluten-free. I cut the original Rachel Ray recipe in half because I’m only cooking for two and we ate them open-faced. Yum!
Serving Size: 2
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 0.75 lb natural antibiotic-free ground turkey
- 2 tbsp organic brown sugar
- 2 tsp GF McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 small organic onion, chopped
- 1 small organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 2 GF hamburger buns
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the oil and ground turkey.
- Mix the steak seasoning and brown sugar together. Add the spices to the ground turkey meat in the skillet and cook until browned.
- Add the onions and red bell pepper. Cook down the mixture until the veggies are tender.
- Add the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and sauce to the skillet. Simmer over medium low heat for 5 - 10 minutes longer.
- Toast the hamburger buns in the oven under the broiler. When ready, scoop the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the buns. Enjoy!
I like to serve something salty along with the sweet Sloppy Joes. Homemade kale chips are perfect!
Recipe for Kale Chips:
1/2 bunch of kale
1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
To make the kale chips, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. I usually do this after I’ve pulled the toasted buns from the oven.
To prep the kale, pull the fringe off of the kale and discard or compost the stems. Wash, rinse and dry. Toss the kale with the olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 7-10 minutes. Serve immediately.