Carrot Rice #glutenfree #caseinfree
Carrot rice is a sweet, decadent rice perfect for a special occasion. And it is very easy to make! Growing up we had it at Christmas because it pairs really well with a baked ham. So if you are having ham for Easter, think about making this, too. People always rave about it (make sure to double or triple the recipe for more than 2-3 people).
It’s a great side dish served along with salty and spicy dishes – it went particularly well with these Turkey & Squash Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers covered in Spicy Homemade BBQ Sauce and Parmesan Brussels Sprouts (Parmesan cheese is not casein-free).
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 large organic carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/4 cup cold filtered water
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- Few threads of saffron (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat ghee and sugar over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add grated carrots and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes so that it starts to caramelize.
- Add the uncooked rice (do not rinse) to the carrot mixture and stir constantly for 1 minute to coat the rice.
- Add the water, pinch of salt and saffron (if using). Raise the heat to bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat to low and cook untouched for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let rice sit with the lid on for 5-10 minutes before serving.