Gluten-free Dairy-free “Beef” Stroganoff
This version of gluten-free dairy-free “beef” stroganoff is a very easy one-pot dish. Make sure all of your spices and ingredients are gluten-free, especially the cornstarch and beef bouillon. I’ve recently made this dairy-free by substituting 1 cup high fat coconut milk or almond milk for the regular milk. And omit the sour cream. It still tastes really good. Or use one of the dairy-free sour cream substitutes now available.
Serving Size: 2-3
- Spice Mixture:
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp Beef Broth Base & Seasoning
- 2 tsp cornstarch (or tapioca starch)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of raw sugar
- -- --
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 0.75 lb ground turkey
- 6 oz gluten-free pasta
- 1 cup high fat coconut milk
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 1 cup GF beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream (omit or use a dairy-free version)
- Mix together the spice mixture (dried minced onion to raw sugar) and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 3.5-quart Dutch oven over medium high/high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, for 5-10 minutes or until all the juices have released.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the ground turkey. Brown until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add milk, beef broth, 1/2 cup water, pasta and spice mixture. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the pasta – add more water if necessary. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for roughly 15-20 minutes, stirring once or twice. It is ready when most of the broth has been absorbed and the pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately (add sour cream if using before serving).
Tip 1: If you have a concentrated beef broth base in liquid form instead of a powder, add it to the liquid beef broth instead of to the powdered spice mixture.
Tip 2: Corn or quinoa pasta work well in this dish rather than brown rice pasta, which tends to disintegrate. I really like using Le Veneziane gluten free pasta!